Friday, April 04, 2008

In the interest of killing the last 15 minutes of a Friday, I feel I should share the following story, which is all too true, and happened not so long ago:

So, I'm practically falling asleep at my desk and I decide to get up and go make myself a cup of tea. I go into the kitchen, where we have automated machines - just insert your packet and go - I mean, who's got time to boil water? But I digress. I reached into the drawer containing the English breakfast teas, put it in the machine and waited for 21st century technology bring me the taste of England, all at the touch of a button. As I waited I started to smell something foul, something offensive, something I should not have been smelling - something that I soon realized was nothing but my nemesis - Earl Grey, whose black heart (optimistically dubbed 'Grey' by his legion of supporters) has been marring tea drinking for centuries.

Yes, you heard me, somebody had put packets containing this foul, putrid weed where the English breakfast tea should be. And because both packets are green, I didn't notice until it was, alas too late - for the cup, at least, though thank heavens I managed to stop this horrible process before accidentally tasting the vile drink.

Right now you're probably thinking, "But Michael, how on earth did you resolve the situation? And did you ever get the tea you wanted?" Yes, yes, I managed to survive this scrape with Earl Grey, and I even managed to escape with a cup of English breakfast tea, but that story will have to wait for another day, as writing this has already taken me sufficiently close to five o'clock.

1 comment:

John said...

curse you, Earl Grey! I also find the smell of earl grey slightly nauseating.